Sunday 9 September 2012

EDM – We repackaged it and sold it back to the nation of America Pt III



I’m not going to lie I’ve just read down my list of notes and if someone was to knock on my door now and declare that this was a list of records that I could only listen to between now and my death I don’t think I would be to disappointed in the outcome to be fair. Whilst the first 20 choices all played their parts in shaping the ever changing world of EDM my next lot of choices whilst doing the same would in my humble opinion make a great Playlist for an IPod or any generic MP3 player you’d care to mention.

My first choice for part three is surely one of the best known house tracks ever recorded and quite how it never topped the UK singles chart I don’t know reaching just number 6 and in the American Billboard charts number 5. For those musical geeks the track uses a Korg M1 percussion organ preset in the riff that runs throughout the track and for those with a life let’s just say there aren’t many tracks containing female vocals which will close come to outshining this choice.

21. Robin S – Show Me Love

I don’t know the last time I listened to this track other than the fact it’s now playing over the sound of my fingers typing away. I will be the first to admit that I had completely forgotten just how much of an absolutely amazing record it is. The track is considered to be one of the best examples of early progressive house. The remix version in 1996 charted at number 6 in the UK and it’s heavy bass line coupled with a piano just makes me remember what a sucker I am for someone tinkling the ivories. Another great example of how strong a female vocal can be on a house track to boot.

22. Gat Décor – Passion

So there seems to be a common theme and structure to this series of blogs finally being that of the use of female vocalists on tracks so for the time being as it makes some kind of sense I will continue through my notes on that basis. The next track ranks as one of my favourite of all time in any musical genre and would feature on my top five list though I’d hate to commit to what number as my musical preferences on a day to day basis change like the my needs for what to wear dependent accordingly on the ever changing UK weather.  The track samples Jomanda’s – Don’t you want my love and reached number 6 in the UK charts in 1992. Don’t quote me on this but I suspect Tiga’s ‘Sunglasses at night,’ samples the same track but I’m too lazy to check.

23. Felix – Don’t You Want Me

The 1990s was a glorious decade for female vocals on EDM tracks I feel so quickly following on featuring the vocals of Rainie Lassiter this track charted at number 9 in 1995.

24. De’Lacy – Hideaway

OK so just one more track featuring a female vocalist for now and a nod to the earlier days of drum n bass. The ‘Timeless’ album from which it’s taken released in 1995 is considered possibly the most ground breaking of all the releases of its generation and help shape and define the dnb genre. Interestingly the album was released on Pete Tong’s FFRR label a name not usually synonymous with dnb history but given this albums importance perhaps it should be highlighted more. But why should it come as a surprise that a DJ who has broken so many people’s career’s and thrust them into the limelight of the world should have also played a large helping hand with dnb as well. Whilst the track only reached number 39 in the UK charts to me it sounds as good and as relevant when played today some 17 years later.

25. Goldie – Inner City Life

In the last blog I mentioned the rise of the Super Star DJ and two guys from Manchester called Tom and Ed took their place alongside the likes of The Prodigy and FatBoy Slim in bringing the big beat genre to the mainstream of the UK charts. For two lads who listed their early childhood hobbies and interests to include aeroplanes, musicals, Scotland and the bagpipes it’s hard to believe that these two managed the success that they have since they hit the music scene. In their time they have collaborated with the likes of Mr Noel Gallagher of Oasis fame on the track ‘Setting Sun,’ which gave the duo their first UK number one single in 1996. The track features a sample taken from Rock Master Scott and The Dynamic Three’s ‘The Roof Is On Fire’ and peaked at number 3 in the charts in 1999. Whilst it might not have been their most successful record the hook exemplifies just how far the humble DJ had now come during the 1990s.

26. The Chemical Brothers – Hey Boy Hey Girl

My next track comes from my an electro house DJ from Boston who came to prominence in the UK when his remix of Tori Amos’ ‘Professional Widow’ reached number one in the UK charts. Latterly the DJ has enjoyed more number one success with his collaboration with UK grime star Dizzie Rascal on ‘Bonkers’ and has recorded with A-Trak under the guise of Duck Sauce with the unforgettable track ‘Barba Streisand.’ This track samples Gary Wright’s ‘Comin’ Apart’ and features the vocals of Tara McDonald. Strangely it failed to break into the top ten in the UK charts peaking at number 12 in 2006.

27. Armand Van Helden – My My My

I genuinely am not sure where to start when attempting to describe the next group. I could start by saying that they have in my opinion one of the most genuinely cool front men going but that would probably do him a major disservice and the compliment would mean little to the man. He’s probably the only leading front man in the history of EDM who is a Soka Gakkai Buddhist and his lyrics are made up of a mixture of social commentary and coverage of a wide range of personal issues. He’s joined on the line up by a vastly talented female musician and the brother of Dido who shot to fame on the Eminem track Stan. Together they have sold over 15 million records and their impact on the history of EDM is secure. My choice of track is somewhat apt if not melancholic by its very title for me personally. The track reached number 3 in the UK singles chart in 1995.

28. Faithless - Insomnia

Just to prove I’m not biased towards the UK’s impact on EDM totally this entry comes from a New York DJ who has remixed tracks for some of the most well known artists on the planet. His credits include work for; Mariah Carey, Madonna, Kylie, Whitney, U2, Michael and Janet Jackson, Luther Vandross and Aretha Franklin to name but a few. A DJ that can quite rightly be named as one of the original Super Star DJs the track samples Rare Pleasure’s ‘Let Me Down Easily’ another great example of a 4/4 Disco Beat. The track peaked at number 11 in the UK charts in 2001.

29. David Morales presents The Face – Needin’ U

The last slot goes to a DJ sadly no longer with us having passed away last year aged just 34. Signed to highly influential record label Ed Banger records the Tunisian born Paris based DJ collaborated with the likes of notable names such as Daft Punk and Cassius. Best known for pushing the boundaries by mixing hip hop with EDM just how far his influence would have gone will sadly remain unknown after his tragic early demise.

30. DJ Medhi - Signatune

No comments:

Post a Comment